May 10, 2019 1:36 pm
Debt consolidation loans are a financial solution that may be suitable when you have multiple debts at once and are struggling to manage them all.
Debt consolidation is the process of bringing together all of your current outstanding debts into one single repayment. This is typically done by taking out a new personal loan to repay your existing debts and then paying this new loan back over a set term. While they may seem like an appealing idea, there are a number of potential negatives to consider as well as the benefits.
- Consolidating your debt into one single loan to repay can be easier to track and manage.
- Debt consolidation loans that are taken out with a fixed interest rate mean that you will always be able to stay on top of your money and plan your finances accordingly.
- Those taking out a debt consolidation loan may benefit from a lower interest rate compared to what they are currently paying. This means that over time, you can expect to save money.
- While you may end up paying more overall, stretching the term on your personal loan could mean that you will spend less towards paying off the debt on a regular basis and give you more money for day-to-day expenses.
- Without being mindful of your finances, the lower regular payments as a result of consolidating your debt may lead to you spending more overall. This creates the potential to accrue more debt and pay more in the long term.
- Failing to keep up to date with regular loan payments could end up affecting your credit score and put you in further financial hardship.
Before deciding to apply for a personal loan to consolidate your debt, take the time to consider all of the potential advantages and risks that are involved. Factor in your own circumstances and look for a loan that offers an interest rate and terms that will work for you. For more information, you may consider seeking professional financial advice.
Categorised in: money